Tuesday, September 2, 2008

WEBSITE: French Teaching Activities

I created this website as part of an assignment for the additional qualification course Computers in the Classroom. I intend to use it with my 3/4/5 split class this year---I want some one-on-one time with the older half/younger half, so I thought I could give them lab time once a week where I work with one half and the other half can do self-directed learning with the computers. They have a choice of the following items:
  • Read something
  • Watch a music video
  • Watch a movie
  • Listen to a Podcast
  • Play a game
Under each category, there are pre-selected links for them. I do use YouTube as a teaching tool, so be aware that if you plan to use something like this with your class, you'll need to have a conversation with them first about 'safe surfing' i.e. you click on the links your teacher gives you, and nothing more. My students know from last year that I consider activities like this to be special, and we don't *have to* do them. If I get any hassles, I turn it off and that's the end. So I am not anticipating any funny business! And I also will be teaching computers as well as French this year, so we will have plenty of time to talk about how to behave on-line.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi - Your work is amazing. I was wondering how you save the videos? Also, I could not access some of the videos because it says that they are private. I joined but that did not allow me access. Any help would be great. You could e=mail me at judydecoupage@sympatico.ca Thanks so much

Ficbot said...

Judy- thanks for the message! I use a Firefox add-on to save the videos. Use Firefox as your web browser and then click under 'tools---add-ons' and there will be a link to search for one. There are several.

Not sure about the 'private' thing. They weren't when I added them!